Wednesday 19 October 2016

Honestly Speaking: Why I Love Blogs

Today I intended to write up an account of a little trip we took to the Barossa Valley last week but I haven't been able to get the topic of blogging off my mind so I've postponed that little recount in favour of some random ramblings (why not, it's my blog after all!)

When I started this blog I didn't really know what I wanted to do with it, I knew I enjoyed reading blogs and I thought it would be a little bit of fun but the idea quickly floundered when I realised I had absolutely no aim or direction for it - enter reading even more blogs! For the last couple of years I have been exploring and finding more and more great blogs and realising that, for me, they are the perfect medium. There has been a lot of speculation recently that blogging is dead, I don't think it is, I think it's just slowed down a bit and ultimately it will stick around, I don't think I'm the only one that loves what blogs have done for our media! Ultimately it re-inspired me to jump back into blogging and I haven't looked back! Here's what I love about blogs and blogging:
Some different perspectives I've read recently (top to bottom): The birth of Rosie's daughter on Cider with Rosie // Jen's Personal Emergency Plans on Epbot // Michelle's Acts of self love on Life Outside London  

Different perspectives: blogging has given us an inside look into different peoples lives and often their personal feelings including many experiences we may not have shared. Lifestyle bloggers in particular open up so much of themselves to their work it is impossible not to gain some understanding of the differences in everyones lives.
Clockwise from top left: Paige Joanna // I Want You To Know // A Clothes Horse // Scathingly Brilliant

A step away from mainstream media: One of the things I like best about fashion blogging is all the differences of the individuals, in the mainstream media we tend to see models that all fit the same mould - blogging is a different story, rather that bloggers being restricted anyone can share their fashion journey enabling us to see clothes, outfits and creativity on people from all walks of life.

It's easy (and free): Well, it's not easy being the one to create the content but it's so easy to consume! We all have the internet on our phones now so when you get stuck in the waiting room you can still check the latest posts from bloggers you like! It's way better than magazines because it's on the spot, free and you get content more than once a month!

Product reviews: Yes, I hear the arguments with this one! Many bloggers do produce sponsored content but, in all honesty, this makes them no less reliable than magazines or other media and, as previously stated, you're getting the content for free! I do hate when a blog goes to all sponsored content but so what if they are getting a kick back sometimes! And who doesn't want to hear what the latest trends or the go to products are - even if it's basically in the form of an ad!

Community: Blogging, or even just reading blogs, bring a feeling of connection - you can relate to this person, maybe you comment on posts, maybe you just look at the pictures but you're making a connection with a complete stranger who you probably have something in common with (or why else would you be there!) and I think that's pretty amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment